HOW TO CLEAN YOUR LUGGAGE
Cleaning your luggage is a necessary task after returning from vacations to guarantee its conservation and make your luggage a travel companion for a long time.
In addition, a dirty luggage would give the impression of a neglected suitcase and can even bring health problems. So, here we teach you simple ways to keep your luggage clean and avoid bad smells to give it a long life and travel with class.
What should you do to keep your suitcase clean?
Before getting down to work, you must empty the suitcase compartments and zippers to completely remove dust and dirt… By the way, it’s a good idea to vacuum all compartments.
As an illustration, take a look at this video from American Tourister about how to clean a luggage:
Now, keep in mind that materials are the most important factor when cleaning your suitcase.
Nylon or polyester luggage
Polyester and nylon are easy to clean and repel most stains and dirt, so cleaning these travel bags is easy.
While some manufacturers recommend using a special cleaner, most of the time you just need to use a soft bristle nylon brush dipped in warm water and mild soap. Clean the entire face of the suitcase and not just the dirty spots. You can also use any Upholstery Cleaner Brush for nylon or polyester. Be careful not to use these cleaners on leather areas, if any. Dry the suitcase completely in the shade before putting it away.
Upholstery Cleaner Scrub Brush Set Cleaning Brush and Horsehair Detailing Brush
- Stiff nylon brush cleans heavily soiled seats, mats & more.
- Genuine horsehair bristles gently clean leather & vinyl: It’ made from premium 100% real horsehair for cleaning sensitive fabrics without scratching them.
- The brush set comes with a horsehair upholstery brush and a heavy-duty scrub brush making it a great value.
- Exceptional quality.
Being so easy to carry and store, you can ensure you always have your suitcases as clean as possible and in perfect conditions for new adventures.
Hardside luggage are usually made out of polycarbonate and they are popular due to its resistance and lightweight nature.
One of the main complaints from users is that they get dirty and scratch easily. That’s why we recommend that you carry your suitcase with you as long as possible unless you have to check it in. If your hardside luggage gets dirty, use a cloth dampened in a mild solution of warm water and dishwasher soap. Clean the entire lid of the suitcase and then, use a damp cloth to remove any soap residue. Now you just have to dry it with a cloth to make it shiny clean again.
Although this type of luggage doesn’t get dirty easily, it’s important to be careful not to damage its surface because it would require special care.
How to clean leather bags or suitcases
Most people think that cleaning a leather bag or suitcase isn’t possible, but it is 100% cleanable.
● You can clean the whole bag or remove some stains at home with a dry laundry solution. Once you clean your leather bag or suitcase, add a good conditioner to protect it from future stains and keep the skin cared and shiny.
An easy way to keep your leather travel bag looking perfect is wiping it with soft alcohol-free baby wipes and immediately dry with a soft towel or microfiber cloth.
● When a deeper cleaning is necessary, use a good leather cleaner. Instead of spraying the cleaner all over your suitcase, grab a damp cloth and wet the tip. Apply the cleaner to one section and repeat until you clean the entire bag. Just be careful not to get the leather too wet.
● Now for removing stains from your leather travel bags, you can take a damp microfiber cloth and dip one corner in mild soap and slowly rub the stain in circular movements. About a minute, take a clean part of the damp cloth and wipe the area around it. Wait a whole day and repeat. If the stain has not disappeared. Remember to use the skin conditioner too.
● If you stained the leather with ink, take a cotton ball and soak it in alcohol. Apply gently only to the stain, you’ll see how the color will come off. Don’t worry, it’s normal and it won’t be noticeable once you apply the conditioner.
● For small oil-based stains like food stains, first remove as much of the stain with a dry cloth. Now take some cornstarch and apply it to the stain. Let it sit for about 15 minutes to absorb the oil. Now, with the help of a brush, work the stain gently but thoroughly. When you’re done, use a dry cloth to clean the area.
… And you can learn more about how to keep your luggage dry here.
2 .Adam’s Leather Care Kit – Leather Cleaner & Leather Conditioner Car
- Works on more than just leather.
- Made in the USA.
- Includes Adam’s leather conditioner (16oz bottle).
- Cleans all interior surfaces.
- Maintains original factory color.
- Gentle on your interior, tough on dirt
- Dye-free formula, clean cotton fragrance.
- Conditions leather, vinyl, car seat, door panel, dash, plastic interior surfaces & more.
- Fresh fine leather scent.
- Leaves a satin finish that is never greasy or oily.
- Contains Premium UV Blockers for SPF 65 protection.
How to remove mold from travel bags
If your travel bags have been stored for a long time, it’s easy for mold to appear.
To get rid of it, use a soft bristle brush dipped in a solution of bleach and hot water. Rub the entire bag and let it dry completely, preferably in the sun, before using it.
With the Adam Leather Care Kit, you’ll give a new life to your travel bags. With it, you can give your travel bags more years of life at a reasonable price without having to replace your suitcase with a new one, which allows you to save money.
● Once you have your suitcase clean, you can protect it in a cloth or plastic cover. If you have a set of suitcases, you can save space by storing them one inside the other.
● Before and after using your suitcase, you should ventilate all its compartments. You’ll avoid odors in your luggage.
● If you have a leather suitcase, make sure that the products you use for cleaning it is specially designed for leather.
● After washing, you can include anti-odor inside like the Bamboo Activated Charcoal.
3. 12 Pack Bamboo Charcoal Air Purifying Bag, Activated Charcoal Bags Odor Absorber, Moisture Absorber (6x50g, 6x150g)
- Works fast by more charcoal air purifying bag. According to the degree of smell, the amount of air freshener bags can be appropriately increased to speed up the adsorption rate and quickly eliminate odor and smoke.
- Multi size fit all space. Three sizes of nature fresh air purifier bags can conveniently put in the place where the odor is and comprehensively remove the odor problem in your life.
- Dispersed all over for full fresh air. Charcoal air freshener has an absorption circle around itself, and the adsorption capacity will decrease by distance. So place charcoal bags in different directions can expand the nature adsorption range in large space and achieve rapid purification.
- Natural air purifier. Bamboo activated charcoal is natural deodorant without fragrance. They are breathable will long-last up to 2 years, just reactivate them under the sunlight for 2 hours every month and they will work like new again.
The activated bamboo charcoal carbon absorption capacity is three times superior than ordinary carbon and you’ll quickly eliminate the odor and excess moisture
This is one of the most complete cleaning products for your luggage, which will guarantee durability for much longer. This wonderful and natural odorless bag will keep your suitcase free of that annoying mold, which not only smells or looks bad but is also harmful to our health, with a natural touch and very easy to use.
4. VacLife Handheld Vacuum, Hand Vacuum Cordless with High Power, Mini Vacuum Cleaner Handheld Powered by Li-ion Battery Rechargeable Quick Charge.
- Powerful suction. This cordless hand vacuum utilizes a super strong motor with powerful suction.
- Lightweight & deep cleaning without blind corners. This vacuum is portable and can reach some hard-to-reach areas and the super bright LED light ensures your cleaning work both in brightness and darkness.
- Durable in use. The handheld vacuum cordless is equipped with filters and innovative wraps, which are washable and more durable.
- Long-lasting cordless use and long lasting battery. The battery vacuum cleaner takes 3-4 hours to fully charge, and the continuous using time is up to 30 minutes.
This practical and light vacuum cleaner will allow you to have your suitcase much cleaner in less time.
By the way, if you want to learn how to fix your luggage handle, you can check this article.
In short, taking care of your suitcase is better than buying a new one, you will save money and your belongings will be safe.
Buying a suitcase is a long-term investment. So, don’t miss the opportunity to protect it as it deserves and have a quiet trip.